Filed Under: Journal - Development - Game Development
I've made some small steps forward and actually accomplished something. It isn't a terribly large achievement, but since it will almost certainly get lost in the shuffle, I'd like to take the opportunity to post some screenshots. That is, once I figure out how to get some screenshots of it.
... I've managed to hard crash my machine again. The last two times were while using nautilus after a GL window just closed... I wonder if that has something to do with it. I'll have to test that later. The good news is that I managed to get some screenshots. Looks like it requires a convoluted method of grabbing the pixels with an OpenGL method, and depositing them into a specially formatted SDL_Surface to save with SDL. I cut and paste :)
The deal is that it was a 100x100 grayscale bmp that I mapped onto a grid and used the colour value as the height. The Gimp Plasma plugin worked quite nicely to generate semi-believable terrain. The arrows and keypad arrows let you move around the terrain and change the camera viewpoint.
Anyway, here they are. Not too shabby for 5 hours of work with OpenGL.